2017 has been quite the year, and the interest in mining cryptocurrency has never been higher. While I use my server to mine when not otherwise being used, I wanted to explore what other devices I could put to work.
In a previous post, I described how I have setup my Raspberry Pi 3 to log my internet speed every 15 minutes with a cron job. You can see that article here: Automatically log your internet speeds with a Raspberry Pi
Since that device is always on anyways, I wanted to explore if I could put the device to use further and have it mine Monero.
Below is my guide on how to set that up –
You will need:
Raspberry Pi 3B
SD Card (You will need to format and install the Raspbian software to it)
Power Supply 5V. 2A
Raspberry Pi OS
I used Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Tools
Putty ( SSH and telnet client for windows )
1) Do a SSH connection to your Raspberry Pi.
We use Putty to connect Raspberry Pi and Login Username and password
( default user : pi , password : raspberry )
2) Gain Root Access: sudo -i
3) Update Your Raspberry Pi: apt-get update -y
4) Install Library: apt-get install autoconf libcurl4-openssl-dev libjansson-dev openssl libssl-dev gcc gawk automake git -y
5) Clone cpuminer: git clone https://github.com/lucasjones/cpuminer-multi.git
6) Change to CPUminer-multi directory: cd cpuminer-multi
7) Create Files: ./autogen.sh
8) Optimize Build for Raspberry pi 3B Version: ./configure
9) Enter in Monero Wallet and Pool information
I use MinerGate – https://minergate.com/
10) To start the mining use the minerd command: ./minerd -a cryptonight -o URL.Your.Pool:port -u worker.1 -p password
For My Example
./minerd -a cryptonight -o stratum+tcp://xmr.pool.minergate.com:45560 -u [email protected] -p xxx
After the mining operation has started, you will see reports of any mined blocks. You can also check your minergate dashboard to see the stats.
I am seeing results of about 8H/sec which equates to about 0.00884 Monero/week ($0.16/week) at the time of writing. This is by no means a large profit, but since the unit is always on, I figure it is better than nothing! I forsee the value of Monero rising in the future, so hopefully my $0.16/week grows!
Like my work? Donate and buy me a beer!